- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Lake Como with Monte Legnone
- ca. 1781/08/27
- Pencil (?), pen and brown ink, watercolour, scratching out
- image width 155mm,
- image length 209mm
- mounted by the artist[?]
- artist's mount, verso
- “Lake Como with monte Leoni”, “light from the Right hand”, signed, numbered “24”, and dated 27 August 1781
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Christie's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP55) and sold it Miss L, Arthur of Butter Hill, Dorking, for £10 at an unspecified date (but perhaps in 1925, when Miss Arthur bought FT314.). Thereafter it is untraced apart from its appearance at Christie’s in 1973, where it was taken for a valuation with FT314.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Miss L. Arthur, Dorking, GBP 10
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP55
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP55
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.