- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Pencil (?), watercolour
- image width 197mm,
- image length 260mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / delt 1800”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Barton Place catalogue; Agnew’s records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP240b) and gave it in 1921 to their nephew Philip Merivale (1886–1946), from whom it passed to Mrs E. W. Evans (née Merivale, sister of John Merivale of 54 Eaton Square, London), who sold it (with FT073, FT405) on 1 December 1965 to Agnew’s (no.5729). On 27 October 1966 Agnew’s sold it to a private collector, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 27 October 1966
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 1 December 1965, no.5729
- Mrs E. W. Evans, London, November 1965
- Philip Merivale (1886 - 1946), 1921
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP240b
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP240b
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.