- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Landscape at 'Morrill'
- Oil on canvas
- image width 387mm,
- image length 511mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / Pinxt. 1780”
- Object Type
- Oil painting
Untraced until 1932, when it was given by Captain Stanley William Sykes (d.1966) of Balls Grove, Grantchester, to the current owner, the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (1616).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Fitzwilliam Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, 1932, 1616
- Captain Stanley William Sykes ( - 1966), Grantchester
- Exhibition History
- Loan Exhibition of Works by Early Devon Painters Born Before the Year 1800, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1932, no. 10 as 'Landscape at Morrill'
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 128
- Jack Weatherburn Goodison, Catalogue of Paintings, Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 1977, p. 262-263
- Luke Herrmann, British Landscape Painting of the 18th Century, Faber: London, 1973, p. 75
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.