- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Landscape Composition
- Pen and black ink, watercolour
- image height 192mm,
- image length 140mm
- mounted by the artist, but the mount has now been destroyed
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “Francis Towne /delt. 1793”
- in black ink
- Object Type
This is probably “Mr Hughes’s charming classical composition of 1793” mentioned by Paul Oppé in the collection of Cecil Eldred Hughes of The Priory, Orpington (1875–1941). This drawing was sold at Phillips on 6 November 2000, lot 10, to Maurice Dear. It is thereafter untraced until it was offered for sale by John Spink in 2005 for £28,500.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- John Spink, London, 2005, GBP 28500
- Maurice Dear, 6 November 2000
- Phillips, London, 6 November 2000, lot 10
- [?] Cecil Eldred Hughes (1875 - 1941), Orpington, London
- Exhibition History
- Francis Towne and his Friends, John Spink at Colnaghi, 2005, no. 9
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 124 (?)
- 1 See Apollo, July 2005, p.48, fig.6.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.