- Landscape with Jacob and Laban
- No date
- [?] image width 717mm,
- [?] image length 1207mm
- Object Type
- Oil painting
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Ozias Humphry Correspondence, Royal Academy Library
Probably this is the “Painting after Claude” bequeathed by James White (1744–1825) to “Mrs Mallett”, who was Towne’s pupil Frances Merivale (1786–1851), who married John Lewis Mallet ca. 1815. It is in a private collection.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Frances Mallett (née Merivale) (1786 - 1851)
- Private Collection
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 52
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 99
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 144
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.