- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Landscape with Ruin
- An Ivy Covered Ruin
- ca. 1780 - 1790
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour
- image width 216mm,
- image length 264mm
- sheet, verso
- “No.57 / Caroln / [?]Caxohne[indistinct word]” and in a different color of ink: “Joseph”.
- the latter word repeated twice with slight variations, apparently to transcribe a Welsh place name
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; 1997 Spink-Leger catalogue (image)
With the Ruskin Gallery at some point before 1996, and sold by Christie’s on 9 July 1996, lot 35, where it was bought by Leger Galleries, who on the same day sold it to Spink, where it was bought on 22 May 1997 for £7,200 by a US private collector. That was presumably Roberta J. M. Olson and Alexander B. V. Johnson, who gave it in 2013 to the present owner, the Metropolitan Museum of Art (2013.1121.1).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 2013, 2013.1121.1
- Roberta J. M. Olson
- Alexander B. V. Johnson
- Spink & Son, London, London, 22 May 1997
- Spink & Son, London, 9 August 1996
- Leger Galleries, 9 August 1996
- Christie's, London, London, 9 July 1996
- Ruskin Gallery
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.