- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Pencil, pen and light grey, brown and black inks
- image width 410mm,
- image length 316mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “Francis Towne / delt 1783”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Francis Towne delt. 1783”
- not written by Towne but perhaps by Francis Abbott (b.1801)
- Object Type
- Outline only
- Tree Study
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; 1990 Eton catalogue (image)
Until 1951 the drawing was owned by Rosetta Dobson (1892–1965), great-granddaughter of John White Abbott. On 26 November 1951 Mrs Dobson sold the drawing to the Fine Art Society (no.5806) for £25 and the Fine Art Society sold it (at an unknown date, but in or before 1968 and probably in the early 1950s) for £100 to Alan Douglas Pilkington (1890–1973), who gave it in 1972 to the current owner, Eton College (Pi190/291).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Eton College, Windsor, 1972, Pi190/291
- Alan Douglas Pilkington (1890 - 1973), GBP 100
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 26 November 1951, GBP 25, no.5806
- Rosetta Frances Dobson (1892 - 1965)
- John White Abbott (1763 - 1851), 1825
- Exhibition History
- Treasures of Eton College Library, Pierpont Morgan Library, 1990, no. 236
- Paul Oppé, 'John White Abbott', Walpole Society Journal: London, 1925, p. 75
- 1 Oppé 1925, p.75.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.