- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Llyn Cwellyn
- Llyngwellyn, Caernarvonshire
- No date
- Pen and ink, watercolour, scratching out
- image width 197mm,
- image length 267mm
- sheet, verso
- “Llyn Gwellyn”, numbered “29”, and dated “10th July” (Barton Place catalogue) or “11th July” (Agnew’s card file)
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé records; Agnew’s records; Christie’s records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP115). It is thereafter untraced although it was photographed by Christie’s, probably in the 1970s or 1980s.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP115
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP115
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.