- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Luccombe Church
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- image width 380mm,
- image length 540mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / 1790”
- artist's mount, verso
- signed and dated
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Sotheby's records (image)
Commissioned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, Bt (1752–1794), or Lady Acland and descended in his family until sold by Sir Richard Thomas Dyke Acland, Bt (1906–1990), at Sotheby’s on 21 November 1968, lot 31, for £1,600 to Leger Galleries. It was offered for sale at Phillips on 2 November 1987, lot 12, but is otherwise untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Phillips, London, 2 November 1987, lot 12
- Leger Galleries, London, 21 November 1968
- Sotheby's, London, London, 21 November 1968, GBP 1600, lot 31
- Sir Richard Thomas Acland (1906 - 1990), 21 November 1968
- Lady Henrietta Anne Acland (née Hoare) (1765 - 1841), Exwick, Exeter, 1790
- Sir Thomas Dyke Acland (1752 - 1794), Exwick, Exeter, 1790
- Exhibition History
- English Occasions, Leger Galleries, 1969, no. 15
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 122
- 1 Paul Oppé records.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.