- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Pen and ink, sepia wash
- image width 298mm,
- image length 483mm
- sheet, verso
- “Montgomery”, numbered “No.44”, and dated “20th July 1777”
- paper watermarked with the letters “LVG” under a shield and a fleur-de-lis
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé records; Agnew’s records
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP125). Judith Merivale sold it for £6 6s. to Squire Gallery in November 1934, whereafter it is untraced.
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.