- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Mountains on the Road from Florence
- ca. 1781/08
- Pencil, pen and brown and grey inks, watercolour, gum
- image width 156mm,
- image length 211mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- artist's mount, verso
- “August 1781 / the mountains about [. . .] miles / on the road from Florence / No.8 / Francis Towne”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Untraced until sold at Robinson & Fisher on 9 May 1935, lot 48 (as by Turner), where it was bought by Paul Oppé (1878–1957; no.2093), whose descendants sold it in 1996 with the rest of Oppé’s collection to the present owner, the Tate Gallery (T08554).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Tate, London, 1996, T08554
- Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957), 9 May 1935, no.2093
- Robinson & Fisher, 9 May 1935, lot 48
Attributed to Turner
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 129 as 'The Appenines 18 miles from Florence'
- 76th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1949, no. 13
- Exhibition of Works from The Paul Oppe Collection, Royal Academy, 1958, no. 99
- Exhibition of Works from The Paul Oppe Collection, National Gallery of Canada, 1961, no. 38
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 146
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.