- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Near the Arco Oscuro
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour with gum
- image width 227mm,
- image length 322mm
- laid paper, with an indistinct watermark
- mounted by the artist on paper watermarked 'WHATMAN'
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne delt. Rome / May 7. 1781 No38”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.38 / Near the Arco scuro [indistinct date scratched out] / Francis Towne delt. May 7h. 1781 [the date in dark brown ink] from 11 till 1 O Clock / Rome.”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.11).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 154, 155 or 156 as 'Near the Arco Oscuro'
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- 'A Noble Art' - Amateur Artists and Drawing Masters c.1600-1800, British Museum, 2000, no. 135
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 201
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 126
- Henri Lemaitre, Le Paysage Anglais a l'Aquarelle 1760-1951, Bordas: Paris, 1955, p. 158
- 1 British Museum, 1981,0516.18.5.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.