- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Newton Cottage with Arthur’s Seat and Salisbury Cragg
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 172mm,
- image width 254mm
- sheet, verso
- “No4 / Newton Cottage with Arthur’s Seat Salisbury Cragg / August 14th, 1811 / Francis Towne”
- Part of
- 1811 Sketchbook
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Christie's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. It descended to Merivale’s granddaughter Janet Louisa Gibbs (née Merivale, d.1909) within a sketchbook containing FT715 to FT732, and thereafter within her family, until it was offered for sale at Christie’s on 7 April 1992, lot 67, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Christie's, London, London, 7 April 1992, lot 67
- Janet Louisa Gibbs (née Merivale) (? - 1909)
Within a sketchbook containing FT715 to FT732.
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.