- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Oakley Park
- Pencil, pen and ink, grey wash
- image width 286mm,
- image length 473mm
- paper with a vertical crease down its centre and damaged at the top edge, watermarked with the letters "IV"
- sheet, verso
- “No.47 July 22. 1777 / Okely Park / Drawn on the Spot by Francis Towne”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé records; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP182). Judith Merivale sold it in January 1936 to Squire Gallery for £5 10s. By 1962 it had been acquired by Sir Bruce Sterling Ingram (1877–1963) and was given or bequeathed by him to Professor Luke Herrmann, by whom it was given in 2002 to the current owner, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (2002P8).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Birmingham, 2002, 2002P8
- Luke Herrmann
- Sir Bruce Stirling Ingram (1877 - 1963), 1962
- Squire Gallery, London, January 1936, GBP 5 10s
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP182
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP182
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 77
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 144
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 34
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.