- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Ponte Molle
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour with gum
- image width 323mm,
- image length 476mm
- laid paper watermarked with a design featuring a fleur de lis within a coronet the letters "CR" [?or "GR"] below
- mounted by the artist on paper watermarked with a coronet design with indistinct lettering that includes amplisands, and featuring the date "179..."
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “No47 Rome / Ponte Molle. 1781 / F.Towne. delt.”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “Rome / No47 Ponte Molle / [“June 26th 1781.”, “June 28th 1781.”, or “June 30th 1781.” scratched out] / drawn on the Spot by / Francis Towne”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.20).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 151 as 'Ponte Molle taken on the Banks of the Tyber'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 201
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 126
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.