- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- River Scene with Trees and Rocks
- No date
- image height 241mm,
- image width 165mm
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Fine Art Society records; Christie's records
Watercolour, 9.5 x 6.5 in (241 x 165 mm). Sold at Christie’s on 19 November 1954, lot 14, for £73 10s. to the Fine Art Society (no.6129), which exhibited it in the spring 1955 Exhibition of Early English Water-Colours (no.19, River Scene, 1st ed. of the catalogue). They sold it on 26 or 30 March 1955 for £126 to Joseph Hawksley Elliot of Sheffield (d. ca. 1978).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Joseph Hawksley Elliot (1884 - 1978), Sheffield, March 1955, GBP 126
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 19 November 1954, GBP 73 10s
- Christie's, London, London, 19 November 1954, lot 14
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.