- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Rydal Water looking towards Grasmere
- Pencil, pen and brown and grey inks, watercolour, gum
- image width 298mm,
- image length 564mm
- five sheets
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower centre
- “F.Towne / delt 1786”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “Rydal Water looking towards Grasmere Westmoreland / Drawn on the spot by Francis Towne / [“August 11th. 1786” scratched out] ½ past 7 O clock / The sky a Clear warm light / mountains a solemn purple tint / the Lake reflecting the sky, the / Sun in the picture”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
Untraced until bequeathed by Robert Wylie Lloyd (1868–1958) to the current owner, the British Museum (19184.108.40.2066). Quite possibly it is BP146 Rydal Water sold in August 1936 or February 1937 by Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945) to Squire Gallery for £23 2s. This drawing may well be the otherwise untraced Rydal Water that Wilcox mentions as having been sold at Christie’s on 14 August 1942 and measuring 11 x 22¼ in. (279 x 565 mm).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum, London, 1958, 1958,0712.386
- Robert Wylie Lloyd (1868 - 1958)
- Christie's, London, London, 14 August 1942
- [?] Squire Gallery, London, GBP 23 2s
- [?] Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP146
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 68, 76 or 90 as 'Rydal Water'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 112
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.