- Berchem Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- No date
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- image height 184mm,
- image length 136mm
- mounted by the artist
- artist's mount, verso
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Baskett & Day catalogue; Christie’s records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP274 Copy of (?) Berghem. F.T. in the Compositions group). On 12 April 1946 Judith Merivale’s executors sold the drawing to Agnew’s (no.4559), who offered it for sale by auction at Puttick & Simpson on 27 December 1946. The drawing was on sale at Baskett & Day in 1974, and it was sold at Christie’s on 18 March 1980, lot 18, for £1,200, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 18 March 1980, GBP 1200
- Christie's, London, London, 18 March 1980, lot 18
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 12 April 1946, no.4559
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP274
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP274
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.