- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Shepherd by a Stream
- No date
- sheet, verso
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Barton Place catalogue
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP265 Shepherd by stream within the Compositions group). On 14 January 1935 Judith Merivale sold it to Thomas Sherrer Ross Boase (1898–1974) for £10, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Thomas Sherrer Ross Boase (1898 - 1974), 14 January 1935, GBP 10
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP265
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP265
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.