- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Baths of Caracalla
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, grey/brown wash
- image width 474mm,
- image length 320mm
- laid paper, with a horizontal crease across its centre, and watermarked with a design of a shield and fleur de lys, with the letters "GR"
- sheet, verso
- “Rome No.36 / Baths of Caracalla light from the right hand / 1781 / Francis Towne”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Notebooks and papers of Paul Oppé (1878-1957), private collection
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP25). Judith Merivale sold it in April 1930 for £8 to Norman Darnton Lupton (1875–1953) of Hyde Crook, Dorchester, Dorset. Agnes Lupton (1874–1950) and Norman Lupton bequeathed it to the present owner, Leeds City Art Gallery (13.210/53).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Leeds City Art Gallery
- Agnes Lupton (1874 - 1950)
- Norman Darnton Lupton (1875 - 1953)
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945)
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928)
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- The Lupton Collection, Leeds City Art Gallery, 1972, no. 80
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 76, 131
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds Art Calendar, No. 26: Leeds, 1954, no. 26
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 69
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.