- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Bay of Naples
- ca. 1781/03
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image width 255mm,
- image length 469mm
- two sheets of paper
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “No19 / Francis Towne delt.”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No19 Bay of Naples / Francis Towne / delt 1781”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the work
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1818 to the present owner, the British Museum (Nn.3.5).
- Exhibition History
- In the Shadow of Vesuvius, Accademia Italiana, London, 1990
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 202
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 127
- 1 Ian D. Jenkins and Kim Sloan, Vases and Volcanoes: Sir William Hamilton and his Collection, British Museum Press: London, 1996, pp.130–38, 170.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.