- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Bowder Stone in Borrowdale
- ca. 1786/08
- Pencil, watercolour
- image width 216mm,
- image length 340mm
- sheet, verso
- “Boulderstone in Borrowdale”(?)
- in pencil
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé notes
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP154). On 12 April 1946 Judith Merivale’s executors sold it to Agnew’s (no.4547), where on 13 September 1946 it was bought for £35 less commission of £1 15s. by Sir John Heathcoat Amory, Bt (1894-1972), who sold it back to Agnew’s (no.4777) on 7 November 1946 for £35. Agnew’s sold it on 13 December 1946 for £42 to Andrew Michael Jaffe (1923–1997), whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Andrew Michael Jaffé (1923 - 1997), 13 December 1946, GBP 42
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 7 November 1946, GBP 35, no.4777
- Sir John Heathcoat Amory (1894 - 1972), 13 September 1946, GBP 35
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 12 April 1946, no.4547
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP154
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP154
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 91 or 92 as 'The Bouder Stone in Burrowdale'
- [?] Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour & Pencil Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1936, no. 81
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 121
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.