- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Claudian Aqueduct
- The Claudian Aqueduct, near the Arch of Constantine, looking towards the Palatine
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image width 324mm,
- image length 472mm
- laid paper
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne. delt / Rome No.29”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.29 / Claudian Aqueduct taken near the Arch of Constantine / looking towards the Palatine mount [“Febry 16th, 1781” scratched out] from 10 till 12 O Clock / Rome Francis Towne. delt. / It run 38 miles and sunk after the / Proportion of five foot & a half every mile / by the advantage of a high source & the low Situation of Rome / Mrs. J. Fortestcue, Buckland House. Devon / a Copy of this. [“1786” scratched out]”
- all in brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.03).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 172 as 'Claudian Aqueduct'
- British Watercolours A Golden Age 1750-1850, J.B. Speed Art Museum, 1977
- British Landscape Watercolours 1600-1860 at the British Museum, British Museum, 1985, no. 35
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 201
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 125
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 110
- 1 G. B. Piranesi, Claudian Aqueduct, ca. 1756 (Ficacci 2000).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.