- Trees at Peamore
- Pen and black ink, watercolour
- image height 395mm,
- image width 505mm
- sheet, recto
- “JWA” monogram and dated “1802”
- label, verso
- “Peamore Devon, from a drawing by – Mr Towne – JWA – 1803 – The right hand tree only – copied. Given to Francis Abbott – March 1. 1832.”
- attached to the backboard
- Object Type
- Tree study at Peamore
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Sotheby’s records; Witt Library (image)
The drawing was sold at Sotheby’s on 22 November 1979, lot 181, whereafter it is untraced. The provenance was then given as John Drew; Elizabeth Drew, 1836; and by descent to the seller. However, according to the label’s inscription, the drawing was given in 1832 to Francis White Abbott, the artist’s son and Towne’s godson.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Sotheby's, London, London, 22 November 1979
- Francis White Abbott (1801), 1832
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.