- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Vale of the Dee below Llangollen
- Pencil, watercolour
- image width 387mm,
- image length 540mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / 1788”
- artist's mount, verso
- “A View of the Vale of the Dee / North Wales drawn by / Francis Towne 1788”
- Object Type
- The Vale of the Dee below Llangollen
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Commissioned by Lady Acland, wife of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, Bt (1752–1794), and descended in his family until offered for sale by Sir Richard Thomas Dyke Acland, Bt (1906–1990), at Sotheby’s on 21 November 1968, lot 27 (bidding reached £900). It was acquired before 1997 by the present owner, the National Library of Wales (PB7221).
- Associated People & Organisations
- National Library of Wales, Aberwystwyth, 1997, PB7221
- Private Collection, 21 November 1968, GBP 900
- Sotheby's, London, London, 21 November 1968, lot 27
- Sir Richard Thomas Acland (1906 - 1990)
- Lady Henrietta Anne Acland (née Hoare) (1765 - 1841)
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, pp. 122–23
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915; Oppé 1920, p.123.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.