- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- View at Rome – Afternoon
- Roadside Scene In Rome (The Ancient Wall Between Porta Salaria And Porta Pinciana)
- The Walls of Rome
- No date
- Oil on wood
- canvas width 467mm,
- canvas width 660mm
- canvas, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne pinxt.1800”
- stretcher, verso
- “Francis Towne” and “Francis”
- Object Type
- Oil painting
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Owned before 1937 by Thomas Andrew (Mayor of Exeter, 1881–82). Dr Robert Alfred Worthington (1878–1945) of Exeter gave it in 1937 to the current owner, the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter (106/1937.2). It is probably the picture Oppé saw in ca. 1915 in the collection of Reginald Merivale (1852–1937), which he noted as “Rome walls”.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery, Exeter, 1937, 106/1937.2
- Dr Robert Alfred Worthington (1878 - 1945), Exeter, 1937
- Thomas Andrew, Exeter
- [?] Reginald Merivale (1852 - 1937), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- The Exhibition of the Royal Academy, Royal Academy of Arts, 1800, no. 169 as 'View at Rome - afternoon'
- [?] Works of British artists placed in the Gallery of the British Institution, Pall-Mall for exhibition and Sale, British Institution, 1808, no. 187 as 'The Walls of Rome, measuring 737 x 914 mm'
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 82
- English Painting 1560-1860, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1968, no. 19
- Paintings and Drawings by Francis Towne and John White Abbott in the collection of Exeter Museums and Art Gallery, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1971, no. 3
- Francis Towne & John White Abbott: Paintings and Watercolours from the Exeter Museums and Art Gallery, Marble Hill House, 1973, no. 3
- Jane C. Baker, Catalogue of Oil Paintings, Watercolours, Drawings and Sculpture, Exeter Museums: Exeter, 1978, p. 117
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 101
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.