- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- View from Sessa Aurunca
- View from Tessa Aurinca
- Pencil (?), pen and ink, watercolour
- image width 387mm,
- image length 629mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “Francis Towne delt / 1784”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Museum records (image)
This drawing was sold at Sotheby’s on 9 June 1937, where it was identified by Paul Oppé as a view of Pozzuoli, a companion work to the view of Capri that was sold in the same sale (see FT414). It was sold to Walker’s Galleries (for £15 according to Art Prices Current), who sold it to the present owner, Leicester City Art Gallery.
- Associated People & Organisations
- New Walk Museum & Art Gallery, Leicester Arts and Museums Service, Leicester
- Walker's Galleries, London, 9 June 1937, GBP 15
- Sotheby's, London, London, 9 June 1937
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.