- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Warwick Castle
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 175mm,
- image width 514mm
- two sheets
- sheet, verso
- “from half-past 3 to 6 o’clock, August 27. 1813”, according to a 1953 letter from Walker’s Galleries (Agnew’s archives); however, Christie’s in 2003 gave the inscription as “Warwick Castle Aug 27.1813. / Francis Towne”, though implying it was not in Towne’s hand
- Part of
- 1813 Sketchbook
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Christie's records (image); Agnew's records
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1745–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 as part of a sketchbook containing FT752 to FT764, which they sold in 1927 to Walker’s Galleries for £60. It is thereafter untraced until its sale at Christie’s by “a lady” on 5 June 2003, lot 53, for £5,500, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Christie's, London, London, 5 June 2003, lot 53
- Walker's Galleries, London, 1927, GBP 60
Within a sketchbook containing FT752 to FT764.
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.