- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Werrington Park
- Pen and brown and black inks, grey and brown washes
- image width 336mm,
- image length 482mm
- paper watermarked “VI”
- sheet, verso
- “Werrington Park / 79”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Witt Library (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP266). On 3 August 1945 Judith Merivale sold it to Agnew’s for £30 with FT226, FT604, FT614. On 29 October 1945 it was bought there for £100 less £5 commission by Sir William Worsley, Bt (1890–1973;), whose family sold it at Christie’s on 5 June 2003, lot 48, for £22,000, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 5 June 2003, GBP 22000
- Christie's, London, London, 5 June 2003, lot 48
- Sir William Worsley (1890 - 1973), London, 29 October 1945, GBP 100
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 3 August 1945, GBP 30
Acquired with FT226, FT604, FT614
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP266
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP266
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Loan Exhibition of Works by Early Devon Painters Born Before the Year 1800, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1932, no. 69 as 'In Wellington Park (sepia)'
- English Watercolours from Four Yorkshire Houses 1660-1860, Scarborough Art Gallery, 1950
- unidentified exhibition, Oscar & Peter Johnson, 1963, no. 34
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 95, 140
- Sir William Worsley, Early English Water-Colours at Hovingham Hall: 1963, p. 8
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.